Mathematics Professors Honored
Six Mathematics faculty members are among those listed in a faculty honor roll that was formally dedicated in the Purdue Memorial Union on April 23. President Beering, EVPAA Ringel, and representatives from the faculty and student body addressed a crowd of faculty and family members that gathered in the Union's main lounge for the 3 p.m. ceremony.
A companion to Academy Park (see Photo Gallery 2), the "Book of Great Teachers" is actually a permanent wall plaque located in the west foyer of the Union. The 225 names listed include past winners of university teaching excellence awards and those nominated by students, alumni, and colleagues. The nomination process for inclusion in the book will be repeated every five years.
Following the dedication, light refreshments were served, and attendees had an opportunity to inspect the display.
Among those honored:
Johnny E. Brown
William R. Fuller
Served on Purdue faculty 1954 to 1991
- Involved with numerous programs affecting students at Purdue, including Committee on Special Student Problems during the 60's, University Senate Educational Policy Committee.
- Helped inaugarate orientation program for new teaching assistants in the Math Department.
- Associate Dean of School of Science (in charge of counseling), Interim Chancellor Purdue - North Central.
- Awarded Amoco Outstanding Teaching Award (now the Murphy Award) in 1976.
Served on Purdue faculty 1942 to 44; 1946 to 1975
- Contributed to development of math curriculum in early days of the Math Department's existence.
- Directed 10 Ph.D. students and continued teaching undergraduate courses after official retirement from the university.
- Honored by the Mathematics Department with the establishment of the Michael Golomb Award, given annually to an undergraduate.
Justin J. Price
Served on Purdue faculty since 1963
- Believed that learning to write mathematics is vital to students' learning, a view now widely accepted by professionals as fundamental.
- Co-authored, with Harley Flanders, texts in calculus, precalculus, and college algebra.
- MAA Lester R. Ford Award 1976; Outstanding Teacher in the School of Science in 1986; MAA Distinguished College or University Teaching national award 1994.
Gerhard N. Wollan
Served on Purdue faculty 1957 to 1975
- Dedicated to bringing university mathematicians into contact with mathematics teachers in high schools, junior highs, and elementary schools. Started Indiana School Mathematics Journal in 1965; in 1970 "rescued" MAA's Mathematics Magazine.
- Following retirement, continued to publish the Journal, organized lectures, taught mathematics at West Lafayette High School, and drove to Indianapolis three times a week to talk about mathematics with disadvantaged children.
- Received MAA Certificate of Meritorious Service in 1974 for his many invaluable services to the mathematical community.
Robert E. Zink
Served on Purdue faculty 1953 to 1998
- Outstanding record, both as an instructor of large calculus classes and upper level courses for math majors; continues teaching since retirement.
- Actively involved with students through many campus organizations, including Faculty Fellows, Wesley Foundation, Tomahawk, Shoemaker, Aviation Technology Flying Club.
- Frederick L. Hovde Outstanding Faculty Fellow Award 1985; Oustanding Teaching in the School of Science 1994; Murphy Outstanding Teaching Award 1996.