PhD, Mathematics, Vanderbilt University, 2011
BS, Mathematics, IUPUI, 2006
Associate Professor | Mathematics Department | Purdue University | West Lafayette, IN
MATH 744 | tsincla @ purdue.edu | 7654941901 (math main office) | 7654940548 (fax)
My math genealogy. Family photos. Random botanizing. My pages on MathSciNet and Google Scholar.
Summer 2022 research opportunity for undergraduates. Contact me if you are interested!
- Von Neumann Algebras
- Ergodic Theory
- Geometric Group Theory
- Model Theory of Metric Structures
My research is currently supported by NSF grant DMS-2055155.
You can find all of my publications/preprints in their current versions on the arXiv.
- w/ Garrett Mulcahy, Malnormal matrices, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 150 (2022), no. 7, 2969-2982. arXiv.
- w/ Rolando de Santiago, Ben Hayes, and Daniel J. Hoff, Maximal rigid subalgebras of deformations and L2-cohomology, Anal. PDE. 14 (2021), no. 7, 2269-2306. arXiv. article.
- w/ Ben Hayes, David Jekel, and Brent Nelson, A random matrix approach to absorption in free products, IMRN (2021), no. 3, 1919-1979. arXiv. article.
- w/ Isaac Goldbring, On the axiomatizability of C*-algebras as operator systems, Glasg. Math. J., 61 (2019). arXiv. article.
- w/ Isaac Goldbring, Robinson forcing and the quasidiagonality problem, Internat. J. Math., 28 (2017) Article 175008. arXiv. article.
- CP-stability and the local lifting property, New York J. Math. 23 (2017) 739-747. arXiv. article.
- w/ Isaac Goldbring, Omitting types in operator systems, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 66 (2017) 821-844. arXiv. article.
- w/ Rolando de Santiago and Ionuţ Chifan, W*-rigidity for von Neumann algebras of products of hyperbolic groups, Geom. Funct. Anal. 26 (2016) 136-159. arXiv. article.
- w/ Ionuţ Chifan and Bogdan Udrea, Inner amenability for groups and central sequences in factors, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems, 36 (2016) 1106-1129. arXiv. article.
- w/ Isaac Goldbring, Games and elementary equivalence of II1 factors, Pacific J. Math. 278 (2015) 103-118. arXiv. article.
- w/ Isaac Goldbring, On Kirchberg's embedding problem, J. Funct. Anal. 269 (2015), 155-198 arXiv. article.
- w/ Ionuţ Chifan, On the ergodic theorem for affine actions on Hilbert space, Bull. Belgian Math. Soc. 22 (2015), 429-446.arXiv.
- w/ Isaac Goldbring and Bradd Hart, The theory of tracial von Neumann algebras does not have a model companion, J. Symbolic Logic 78 (2013), 1000-1004. arXiv. article.
- w/ Ionuţ Chifan and Bogdan Udrea, On the structural theory of II1 factors of negatively curved groups, II, Adv. Math. 245 (2013), 208-236. arXiv. article.
- w/ Ionuţ Chifan, On the structural theory of II1 factors of negatively curved groups, Ann. Sci. Éc. Norm. Supér. 46 (2013), 1-33.
- w/ Jesse Peterson, On cocycle superrigidity for Gaussian actions, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 32 (2012), 249-272. pdf. article.
- Strong solidity of group factors from lattices in SO(n,1) and SU(n,1), J. Funct. Anal. 260 (2011), no. 11, 3209-3221. article.
- w/ Isaac Goldbring and Bradd Hart, Correspondences, ultraproducts and model theory, preprint. arXiv.
- w/ Bruno de Mendonça Braga and Javier Alejandro Chávez-Domínguez, Lipschitz geometry of operator spaces and Lipschitz-free operator spaces, arXiv.
- w/ Roy Araiza, Colton Griffin, and Aneesh Khilnani, Approximating projections by quantum operations. arXiv.
- w/ Roy Araiza and Colton Griffin, An index for inclusions of operator systems. arXiv.
"[E]ach bringing/ From the water in which he believed and out of desire/ Things made by mid-terrestrial, mid-human/ Makers without knowing, or intending, uses."
---Wallace Stevens, from A Completely New Set of Objects
- Remark on harmonic functions of almost sublinear growth. pdf.
- A very short proof of the existence of an injective envelope for an operator space. pdf.
- Garrett Mulcahy, first position: PhD student, University of Washington, NSF Graduate Research Fellow.
- Colton Griffin, Goldwater Scholarship.
- Aneesh Khilnani
- Roy Araiza, PhD, Purdue University, 2021
Thesis, "On the abstract structure of operator systems and applications to quantum information theory"
first position: J.L. Doob Research Assistant Professor (ntt), University of Illinois.
- Seongjun (Jun) Choi, Purdue, PhD May 2022 (expected)
- Meng-Che (Turbo) Ho, Golomb Visiting Assistant Professor, Purdue, 2017-2020
first position: Assistant Professor of Mathematics (tt), Cal State University Northridge.
Conferences and Workshops
Statement of Inclusiveness.
- Spring 2021, Math 490, Collaborative Problem Solving
- Spring 2021, Math 546, Functional Analysis
- Spring 2021, Math 301, Introduction to Proof Through Real Analysis
- Fall 2020, Math 440, Honors Real Analysis
- Spring 2020, Math 490, Collaborative Problem Solving
- Fall 2019, Math 598, Mathematics of Quantum Information Theory
- Fall 2019, Math 261, Multivariate Calculus
- Spring 2019, Math 341, Foundations of Analysis
- Spring 2019, Math 490, Collaborative Problem Solving
- Fall 2018, Math 261, Multivariate Calculus
- Spring 2018, Math 490, Collaborative Problem Solving
- Spring 2018, Math 546, Functional Analysis
- Fall 2017, Math 351, Linear Algebra
- Spring 2017, Math 693, Introduction to K-Theory
- Fall 2016, Math 341, Foundations of Analysis
- Spring 2016, Von Neumann Algebras
- Fall 2015, Math 266
Good advice from fellow Hoosier, Bruin, and Boilermaker, John Wooden:
John Wooden's Seven Point Creed
- Be true to yourself.
- Make each day your masterpiece.
- Help others.
- Drink deeply from good books.
- Make friendship a fine art.
- Build a shelter against a rainy day.
- Pray for guidance, and give thanks for your blessings every day.