Mathematics and data science
- Why you shouldn’t be a data science generalist (with a description of some specialities)
- Franken-algorithms: the deadly consequences of unpredictable code
- A Calculated Decision: Why John Urschel Chose Math Over Football
- Math is Amazing and Fun!
- What Characteristics Make Mathematicians Suited for Industry?
- The Three Phases of the Mathematical Life
- Are You Ready for Math Whiz Camp?
- Mathematics for Human Flourishing
- This Mathematician Says Big Data Is Causing a ‘Silent Financial Crisis’
- The Multimillion-Dollar Minds of 5 Mathematical Masters
Mathematics: 1,000 Years Old, and Still Hot
- What can I do with a major in... MATHEMATICS?
- Laptops Are Great. But Not During a Lecture or a Meeting.
- Six Myths About Choosing a College Major
- College Advice I Wish I’d Taken
- Skipping the College Tour: Researchers say talking to people who have been through an experience leads to better decisions
- The Distracted Classroom: Is It Getting Worse?
- Why We Can’t Look Away From Our Screens
- Will You Graduate? Ask Big Data
- Schools That Work
- Conquering the Freshman Fear of Failure
- The Politics of Math Education
- Lecture Me. Really. The vogue for active learning blinds us to the value of ancient teaching methods.
- The Power of ‘Why?’ and ‘What If?’
- Same Time, Many Locations: Online Education Goes Back to Its Origins
- Stop telling kids you’re bad at math.
- Why America's Smartest Students Fail Math
- Teaching Math to People Who Think They Hate It
- Square Root of Kids’ Math Anxiety: Their Parents’ Help
- What’s the Point of a Professor?
- To Remember a Lecture Better, Take Notes by Hand
- Internships Connect Math Students to New Career Paths
- In A Digital Chapter, Paper Notebooks Are As Relevant As Ever
- Are Courses Outdated? MIT Considers Offering ‘Modules’ Instead
- How to Get a Job With a Philosophy Degree:
- The Power of Academic Friendship
- Can Mitchonomics Fix the Broken Business of Higher Ed?
- Three Questions Purdue and Kaplan Should Ask
- Some Lesser-Known Truths About Academe
As Robots Displace Workers, Higher Ed ‘Will Change a Great Deal,’ Researcher Says
- Why Administrators Should Teach
- So Many Research Scientists, So Few Openings as Professors
- How Big Data Is Taking Teachers Out of the Lecturing Business
- The NIPS Experiment
- Mathematics Departments in the 21st Century: Role, Relevance, and Responsibility
- Why Do We Need Minorities
Among Our Faculty?
- In Honor of Black History - some terrific articles from the Notices of the AMS
- Beyond ‘Hidden Figures’: Nurturing New Black and Latino Math Whizzes
- Fighting Racial Bias on Campus
- No, I Am Not Pregnant
- 'Hidden Figures': How Black Women Did The Math That Put Men On The Moon
- Hidden Figures: The Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Powered Early Space Exploration
- Obama’s Female Staffers Made Sure Their Voices Were Heard With a Genius Strategy
- The Fire this Time: A Context for Understanding the Black Male Athlete Protests at Missouri
- A ‘Devastating Account’ of Diversity at Yale
- What Can Stop Kids From Dropping Out
- An open letter on diversity in education
- Einstein v. Roberts
- First Black NASA Administrator Charles Bolden 'Pleaded' To Get Into Naval Academy
- After Racist Episodes, Blunt Discussions on Campus
- What unique perspective does a minority student bring to a physics class?
- Teacher: A student told me I ‘couldn’t understand because I was a white lady.’ Here’s what I did then.
- Our Biased Brains
- Sexist peer review elicits furious Twitter response, PLOS apology
- Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant on Women Doing Office Housework
- What It Feels Like to Be a Black Professor
- Read The Nasty Comments Women In Science Deal With Daily
- Science Reporter Emily Graslie Reads Her Mail — And It's Not So Nice
- Speaker selection bias
- Kind Communications Guidelines
- Psychologists have surprising advice for people who feel unmotivated
- Life Is Short. That's the Point.
- Why You Should Stop Being So Hard on Yourself
- The 6 Steps to Turning Setbacks Into Advantages
- Erick Erickson: How to Find Common Ground
- The Dying Art of Disagreement
- You’re Too Busy. You Need a ‘Shultz Hour.’
- An Introvert’s Guide to Networking
- The Best Time to Retune Your Career? It’s Probably Right Now
- The Power of Negative Thinking
- Achieving Mindfulness at Work, No Meditation Cushion Required
- Want to Find Fulfillment at Last? Think Like a Designer
- What Google Learned
From Its Quest to
Build the Perfect Team
- Choose to Be Grateful. It Will Make You Happier.
- Ira Glass on Achieving Creative Success
- How brainy is your hometown? (West Lafayette does pretty well!)
- To Be a Genius, Think Like a 94-Year-Old
- The Importance of National Myths
- Why We Believe Obvious Untruths
- How to Defeat Those Who are Waging War on Science
- Can Teenage Defiance Be Manipulated for Good?
- The Paradox of Finding Motivation Through Fear
- Interview with Felix Haas, former math department head, dean, and provost of Purdue University. There is also a recorded version of this interview archived at Purdue.
Computing Quick Links