The Department of Mathematics in the College of Science at Purdue University invites applications for an appointment for Lecturer in Mathematics and Statistics with a specialization in Actuarial Science to begin August 2020. The Actuarial Science program at Purdue is highly ranked, with excellent students, strong support from departmental and college administrations, and strong ties to the quickly growing Data Science program.
Candidates must have a B.S. in mathematics, statistics or actuarial science and be an Associate or Fellow of either the Society of Actuaries or the Casualty Actuarial Society. Candidates must also have a minimum of two years mentoring junior actuaries or teaching at the college or university level.
- Teach approximately 18 hours (six 3-credit courses) per academic year.
- Meet with and advise undergraduate students as necessary.
- Advise the Actuarial Science cohort in the Data Mine.
- Assist Director of the Actuarial Science Program with administration of the program.
- Assist with maintenance of a first-rate Actuarial Science Program by:
- Suggesting changes to curriculum or other aspects of the program.
- Meeting annually with the Industry Advisory Council.
- Maintaining strong relationships with Industry.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Lecturer position at Purdue University is benefits-eligible with the opportunity for eventual promotion to Senior Lecturer.
Review of applications will begin in June 2020 and will continue until the position is filled. The contract of the successful candidate will begin on August 17, 2020.
Applications should be submitted online through https://careers.purdue.edu/job/West-Lafayette-Lecturer-IN-47906/656144900/ and should include:
- Curriculum vitae or resume,
- Cover letter indicating area(s) of expertise, description of how qualifications fit the position (instruction, mentoring), and description of diversity activities as described below.
Purdue University's Department of Mathematics and Department of Statistics are committed to advancing diversity in all areas of faculty effort, including scholarship, instruction, mentoring, and engagement. Candidates should address at least one of these areas in a separate Diversity and Inclusion Statement, indicating their past experiences, current interests or activities, and/or future goals to promote a climate that values diversity and inclusion. For more information about our departments, see www.math.purdue.edu/and www.stat.purdue.edu/.
A background check will be required for employment in this position.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.