Mathematics, Data Science, and Industry
Purdue University, Dec 1-2, 2018
The purpose of this conference is to introduce the use and application of mathematics in data science, and opportunities for mathematics students in the data science industry. Participants from other disciplines are also encouraged to attend. In contrast to other conferences dealing in this topic, the unique feature of this conference is its blended focus on both academic research and industrial opportunities in the field. As such, it includes numerous speakers from both arenas. Of note, many of our industry speakers are math PhD alumni that have successfully ventured into industrial careers in data science.
All presentations will be held in MATH 175, Mathematics Science Building.
- Parsa Bakhtary, YouTube
- Mireille Boutin, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Department of Mathematics, and Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering, Purdue University
- Kaiser Fung, Founder, Principal Analytics Prep; Author, Numbers Rule Your World; Editor, Junk Charts blog; Lecturer, Tufts University
- Suresh Garimella, Office of the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- David Gleich, Department of Computer Science and Department of Mathematics, Purdue University
- Huda Nassar, Department of Computer Science, Purdue University
- Jennifer Neville, Department of Computer Science and Department of Statistics, Purdue University
- Jason Lucas, Metron, Inc.
- Raghu Pasupathy, Department of Statistics, Purdue University
- Dejan Slepcev, Department of Mathematics, Carnegie Mellon University,
- Michael Trosset, Department of Statistics, Indiana University,
- Yi Wang, Bloomberg
- Mark Daniel Ward, Department of Statistics and Department of Mathematics, Purdue University
- Nicholas Wegman, Antuit
- Pete Weigel, McKinsey & Company
- Patrick Wolfe, College of Science, Department of Computer Science, and Department of Statistics, Purdue University
- Drew Swartz, IRI
- Nung Kwan (Aaron) Yip, Department of Mathematics, Purdue University
There is no registration fee but please plan to register by Nov 15, 2018 so that we can plan ahead in terms of food and supplies.
A limited amount of support will be available. Priority will be given to students and junior researchers with no other means of support. Deadline for support request is Nov 15, 2018.
Questions about registration can be addressed to Anna Hook (email@example.com).
The conference is supported by the Department of Mathematics, the Center for Computational and Applied Mathematics, and the College of Science, Purdue University.